The first and probably the most important step in thinking about a new solution is to engage with the stakeholders and understand their experiences in the existing ecosystem. Identifying their pain areas, challenges, aspirations, behaviours, patterns which can guide the direction of the project.
This helps us understand the landscape beyond the problem statement. Which in our case was:
How do we use novel data sets and techniques to effectively understand the impact of child poverty on education within urban and rural contexts?
The main objective of engaging with the stakeholders was to explore the unknown and unlock new possibilities to address the realities faced by them.
For the ambitions of this project, we were introduced to four types of primary stakeholders:
- Attainment Advisors
- Educational Psychologists
- School Leaders
- Quality Improvement Managers / Quality Improvement Officers / Education Support Officers
To understand the experiences of these stakeholders better, multiple touchpoints were setup with with different objectives capture to comprehensive picture of ecosystem.
The following approach was undertaken:
- Survey : As a first step of the stakeholder research a survey was conducted to better understand the current landscape, primary users, their aspirations and challenges faced along the way.
- Workshop : Following the initial survey, a workshop was conducted with the key stakeholders to get inputs on the data and tools most frequently used by the stakeholders, the challenges faced by them. Their inputs were also collected on certain possible features of a new solution.
- Interviews : Individual interviews were conducted with the primary and secondary stakeholders to understand their daily activities, what kind of information they interact with, their challenges and aspiration to envision what a way forward could look like.
All the information generated from these interactions with the stakeholders was consildated to create Personas and Jounreys to envision the ideal solution for their needs and aspirations.
The following measures were put in place to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of information of the key stakeholders in any publically shared information about the research, solution:
- The records from all the stakeholder engagements will be kept confidential, with access to files only the core team working on the project, has access to any digital files.
- All digital files, transcripts, and summaries will be stored separately from any names or other direct identification of participants.
- When the results of the research will be published or discussed in public domain, no personally identifiable information about any of the individuals will be used.
- Any information quoted in research outputs from these surveys will be done with the permission of the stakeholders and anonymized as requested.
- The information provided by the stakeholders will be maintained for at least three years from the date of submission.